Notes for the course "Intro to Human Language" 2010/2011
- Slides in PDF format
- Course slides (updated as the course procedes) are
in these notes (in a single PDF
file; best printed 2 pages per sheet). Keep in mind that not all the
topics present in these slides have been covered in class.
- The text suggested to prepare for the exam is: "An Introduction to
Language" (8th Edition) (2008) Rodman, Hyams, Fromkin. (earlier
editions are also fine, and quite cheaper). The sections that cover
the topics discussed in the course are:
- Chapter 1 Introduction (all)
- Chapter 2 Morphology (except sections 2.4, 2.6.3, 2.6.4, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10)
- Chapter 3 Syntax (except 3.2.5, 3.2.6)
- Chapter 4 Syntax (only 4.2.3)
- Chapter 7 Semantics (except section 7.5)
- Chapter 9 Semantics (only section 9.1)
- Chapter 11 (only 11.1 and 11.3)
- Chapter 12 (only 12.1,12.2)
- Some sample questions for the final exam administered in
previous years (again, with a broader program).
- Once the course is completed the slides will also
posted in the "Teaching"
page in the main HLTI Master web site (login required)